Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Is It This Position Or That Position?

To say I teach the student not the method would miss the mark. However, with the complexity of the golf swing and the variety that humans bring to the golf course, no model fits them all. Golf instruction must be rooted somewhere. Even if it is only a basic understanding of swing path and face angle. A sort of quick fix approach can develop the proper dynamics. "I can fix your slice Mr. Jones. Just turn your left hand on top and aim right." This advice may create a drastic pull hook, but the slice would be gone. It may also work perfect by creating a nice high draw. I find it interesting when golf instructors and golf fanatics speak in absolutes when it comes to the golf swing. "Is it this position or that position?" I had this exact question a few days ago from a decent 5 handicapper. Oddly, I had an answer because the choice seemed quite clear. As he turned to walk away he followed with, "I'm duck hooking everything." Hmm... He was gone before I could change my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment