Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Sean Foley Profile

I wish I knew more about Sean Foley before he started working with Tiger. It would have seemed less trendy for me to comment on his successes. As I read and watch more about his approach to teaching, what he teaches, and how he balances his life, I am continually impressed. I agree with almost every basic swing outline and coaching method that he exhibits. It is refreshing to know that where many of my swing thoughts and methodology have often seemed counter to the mainstream, they are now moving to the forefront of swing coaching and instruction. I was relieved to hear that he does not immerse himself in golf swing research. Rather, his studies are very wide giving him a balanced approach toward communicating with people. Half of the battle to being an effective teacher is creating an atmosphere on the lesson tee that makes individuals feel confident in their abilities. I have always said to younger professionals that are entering the business or recently finishing up their studies, that to be a successful teacher has as much to do with effective communicating and making people feel confident as it does with their knowledge of the golf swing. People will always perform better when they feel good and confident. Many of my students comment on their ability to hit solid shots while I am watching, as if they would rather it be broken giving us good reason to fix it. But in reality they are comfortable and focused. There is a lot to be learned from that experience.

Enjoy this short profile video about Sean Foley.

No comments:

Post a Comment